Living life on a budget

Instagram Feed (do not change this title)

Make Your Own | Vegan Butternut Squash Curry



Ever since I can remember my mum has cooked me, and I have grown up eating homemade and healthy food. I have been cooking for as long as I can remember, whether it was mixing random ingredients together and making a disgusting mush at my grandmas, locking the kitchen door and making a feast for my parents with my sister or cooking a delicious green thai curry with my dad until I could do it alone. I have always loved cooking, there is nothing more satisfying than spotting a recipe you fancy trying and producing something delicious.

When I initially moved away from home I stuck to the family "classics" I had been bought up both eating and cooking. However, I gradually started finding new, more exciting recipes I wanted to try. Some I have loved, some took far too long, some costed too much and others I just didn't like the taste, but I have enjoyed trying them all. Don't get me wrong, I don't spend every night trying out a new recipes, I still love a good spag bol or tuna bake that I don't even have to think twice about what I am chucking in.

As I enjoy cooking new recipes more and more, I hunt for and buy more recipe books (charity shops are perfect for this and are SO CHEAP). I heard lots of good things about Get The Glow by Madeleine Shaw, spotted it for a good price on Amazon and could not resist buying it. 

When it comes to what I usually choose to eat on a day-to-day basis, it usually involves at least one type of meat. So when I spotted the recipe for this butternut squash curry in Get The Glow, I wasn't completely sold. However it has now become one of my favourites and top "go-to" recipes. It is so simple, requiring only a few ingredients and is so easy to make. Taking a bit longer than my usual favourites, it is still totally worth it and so amazingly healthy!

Anyway, I enjoy this meal so much I thought I would share it with all you lovelies. So here it is!

What you need:
  • A spoonful of coconut oil
  • 50g of coriander
  • 400g Butternut Squash 
  • 500ml can of coconut milk
  • An onion, finely chopped
  • Punch of salt
  • 2 Tablespoons of red curry paste
  • 1 Tablespoon of tomato puree 
  • 1/2 a Teaspoon of turmeric 
  • A handful of spinach
  • A handful of green beans, ends cut off
  • Some sprouting broccoli (optional) 
  • Juice of one lime
  • Wholegrain rice
What you do:
  • Take the leaves off the coriander stalks and cut the stalks up finely 
  • Put the coconut milk, red curry paste, tomato puree, turmeric and coriander stalks in a food blender and blitz 
  • Fry the onions in coconut oil with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes 
  • Add the butternut squash and fry for 1 minute 
  • Pour in the coconut milk etc from the blender and bring to a simmer 
  • Allow to cook for 10 minutes 
  • Add the green beans, spinach and sprouting broccoli and cook for another 20 mins 
  • Start cooking the rice 
  • Serve with a squeeze of lime, a sprinkle of coriander leaves and the rice
Hope you enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment

© KATIE PRIMROSE.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig